Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Just Because I Love Christmas


     Today is going to be a bit of a break from the usual, due to the delightfulness of the season. While fall is certainly my favorite season, and winter probably only comes in at third place, Christmas is one of my favorite times of the year. So, in honor of this fleeting time, which really has a lasting impact on the rest of the year, I present to you a post of Christmas joy and a playlist of some of my favorite tunes this year. It was hard to select just a few songs, because there is such an abundance of Christmas music, and music is so closely tied to my memories of Christmas. Frankly, it's not Christmas at my house until the John Nilsen albums are brought out and someone mentions the dance my older sister once made up to Nilsen's version of Bring a Torch, Jeannette Isabella, or until we hear the cheesy tunes of Mitch Miller and the Gang. So, rather than post all the songs I love, I decided to go with the ones I've listened to the most this year.
     There's probably some clever way to actually have the music play, but I don't really feel like figuring that out, and I think it would really start to annoy people after a while. Instead, I've listed the title and the artist for each song so they're easy to find on iTunes. I've also posted links for some of the songs/albums because there is quite a bit of great Christmas music available for free. I really enjoy both Solid Rock Christmas albums. A couple songs, like Sing Emmanuel (an original composition by one of my friends) and the ones performed by Camerata Carolina aren't available commercially anywhere since they're performed by my friends or choirs I've sung with, but if you'd like them just let me know and I can arrange something. Enjoy!
      

Annika's Playlist for Christmas 2012  
I Wonder as I Wander -Josh White and the Solid Rock Band
The Holly and the Ivy -Wayfarer
O Holy Night -Josh Groban
What Child is This? -Sarah McLachlan
O Come, O Come Emmanuel -Josh White and the Solid Rock Band
Carol of the Bells/Sing We Now of Christmas -BarlowGirl
Ave Maria -Rachael Lampa
Dormi Jesu -Camerata Carolina
Sing Emmanuel -Julie and Lindsey 
Advent Song -Northern Conspiracy 
Midwinter -Camerata Carolina
Christmas Canon -Trans-Siberian Orchestra
All Creation Sing (Joy to the World) -Seth Condrey
White Christmas -Dogs on Tour
Baby, Please Come Home -Anberlin
Merry Christmas, Here's to Many More -Relient K
Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow -Michael Bublé

Snowing in Seattle -Sherwood
Winter Night -Little & Ashley
Christmas This Year -TobyMac & Leigh Nash
Coventry Carol -Celtic Lore 
Jesu Joy -David Klinkenberg
Celtic Carol -Lindsey Stirling 
Is There a Place For Us? -Mychael Danna
Waltz of the Snowflakes -Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky 
March of the Wooden Soldiers -Steven Pasero
Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence -John Nilsen (if anyone knows of a good choral recording of this, please let me know)
Christmas Eve (Sarajevo 12/24) -Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Carol of the Bells/God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen -The Piano Guys
God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/Slieve Russell -Dan Cleary
Road to Lisdoonvarna/Swallowtail Jig/Irish Washerwoman -Tony Elman

The Wayfarer Christmas EP (as well as his album of hymns) can be downloaded  here:
The two Christmas albums from Solid Rock can be downloaded here: http://www.ajesuschurch.org/music/ 
Two Christmas albums from Dogs on Tour can be downloaded here:
http://www.dogsontour.org/archives/tag/music-for-winter 
The Advent Song (as well as some other great songs) can be downloaded here:
http://marshill.com/music/albums/northern-conspiracy-live 

I'm very much in favor of stealing the idea of Weihnachtsmärkte (Christmas markets) from the Germans

Update: My awesome friend Anne got me a great choral version of Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence and it is gorgeous. I also discovered the band Zerbin and they have a pretty rockin' version of O Come, O Come Emmanuel. You can get it here: http://noisetrade.com/zerbin. 

3 comments:

  1. You just put Camarata Carolina on there because you're in the recordings. Selfish, selfish Annika. Just kidding, you know how I feel about Midwinter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true. I'm such a selfish person. ;)

    ReplyDelete

  3. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete