Thursday, June 20, 2013

Halloween's Going to Be Interesting This Year...


     After months of much frustration and searching, I can finally announce that I have found a place to live! I'm going to be living just north of Boston in the ever so historic city of Salem, Massachusetts! It's a cute little apartment just outside of downtown and I'm very excited. It's especially exciting because I'll be living with some good friends, plus I'll be decently close to the college I attended for my undergrad so I'll be able to see many of my friends there. I'll even be able to return to the church I attended during my undergrad years, which is delightful. 

Cast member of "Cry Innocent" which depicts
the trial of Bridget Bishop
     I'll have to commute into Boston for classes, but that's not really a problem. I did that for a year before, so I know what I'm getting myself into. Boston has a pretty decent public transportation system, so I'll be able to zip around on that and use the time to study. While I would have liked to have been closer to Boston, Salem is a pretty good mix of being within reach of both the city and my undergrad friends. The area is so nice too. I'll be within a mile of the Atlantic Ocean, which is a definite bonus, and Salem is certainly a town full of beauty, character, and history. I sometimes think it's like an older version of Portland, OR but with less hipsters and more witches. I think it'll be quite fun. I'll just have to remember to stay inside on Halloween though because, as I quickly learned during my early days in MA, Salem gets kind of crazy once October comes. There's a million tourists, and the already quirky residents (What Not to Wear did an episode where their subject was a Salem witch and this performance happens everyday June-October, multiple times each day) just get even crazier. It's not all fun and games though since people actually do keep their pets locked indoors on Halloween lest they be used in some sort of ritual, but it'll be interesting at the least. 
     All in all I'm terribly excited to finally have housing settled and I'm looking forward to moving in August! 

No comments:

Post a Comment