Sunday, March 8, 2015

A Week of Prayer and Spring Break Begins

     If anyone was keeping track, you may have noticed that last Wednesday came and went without a post of suggested recipes for Lent. I apologize. Thanks to snow days and exams getting moved around, last week we essentially had mid-terms in the PA program. Tuesday was the only exam free day and the whole week was packed to the brim with studying. I made the executive decision that passing my exam on Women's Health was a tad more important than writing my post on time, so here we are. My apologies to anyone who was disappointed. I have two very good recipes to share this week, and these will certainly be posted on time as I am currently on spring break (when my friends and I went out to lunch after our last exam our awesome waitress overheard us talking about brought us free desserts to celebrate)! To make up for the lack of recipes last week, I present seven prayers from Christians of the past. As Martin Luther once said, "To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than to be alive without breathing,” so perhaps this week for Lent you can take a prayer for each day to think over and try praying yourself. You don't have to use these prayers; they are merely suggestions. 

1. Give me yourself, O my God, give yourself to me. Behold I love you, and if my love is too weak a thing, grant me to love you more strongly. I cannot measure my love to know how much it falls short of being sufficient, but let my soul hasten to your embrace and never be turned away until it is hidden in the secret shelter of your presence. This only do I know, that it is not good for me when you are not with me, when you are only outside me. I want you in my very self. All the plenty in the world which is not my God is utter want. Amen. -St. Augustine 

2. Behold, Lord,
An empty vessel that needs to be filled.
My Lord, fill it.
I am weak in faith;
Strengthen thou me.
I am cold in love;
Warm me and make me fervent
That my love may go out to my neighbour.
I do not have a strong and firm faith;
At times I doubt and am unable to trust thee altogether.
O Lord, help me.
Strengthen my faith and trust in thee.
In thee I have sealed the treasures of all I have.
I am poor;
Thou art rich and didst come to be merciful to the poor.
I am a sinner;
Thou art upright.
With me there is an abundance of sin;
In thee is the fullness of righteousness.
Therefore, I will remain with thee of who I can receive
But to whom I may not give.
Amen. -Martin Luther

3. O God, early in the morning I cry to you. 
Help me to pray
And to concentrate my thoughts on you;
I cannot do this alone.
In me there is darkness,
But with you there is light;
I am lonely, but you do not leave me;
I am feeble in heart, but with you there is help;
I am restless, but with you there is peace.
In me there is bitterness, but with you there is patience;
I do not understand your ways,
But you know the way for me….
Restore me to liberty,
And enable me to live now
That I may answer before you and before men.
Lord whatever this day may bring,
Your name be praised.
Amen -Dietrich Bonhoeffer

4. Thanks be to thee, my Lord Jesus Christ, 
For all the benefits thou hast won for me, 
For all the pains and insults thou hast borne for me.
O most merciful Redeemer, Friend, and Brother, 
May I know thee more clearly, 
Love thee more dearly, 
And follow thee more nearly: 
For ever and ever. -St. Richard Chichester

5. Gracious Father, we pray for thy holy Catholic Church. Fill it with all truth, in all truth with all peace. Where it is corrupt, purify it; where it is in error, direct it; where in any thing it is amiss, reform it. Where it is right, strengthen it; where it is in want, provide for it; where it is divided, reunite it; for the sake of Jesus Christ thy Son our Savior. Amen. -The Book of Common Prayer

6. Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy.
O divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
To be consoled as to console,
To be understood as to understand,
To be loved as to love;
For it is in giving that we receive;
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
It is in dying to self that we are born to eternal life. -St. Francis of Assisi

7. Dear Jesus, help us to spread your fragrance
everywhere we go.
Flood our souls with your spirit and life.
Penetrate and possess our whole being so utterly
that our lives may only be a radiance of yours.
Shine through us and be so in us
that every soul we come in contact with
may feel your presence in our soul.
Let them look up and see no longer us, but only Jesus.
Stay with us and then we shall begin to shine as you shine,
so to shine as to be light to others.
The light, O Jesus, will be all from you.
None of it will be ours.
It will be you shining on others through us.
Let us thus praise you in the way you love best
by shining on those around us.
Let us preach you without preaching,
not by words, but by our example;
by the catching force -
the sympathetic influence of what we do,
the evident fullness of the love our hearts bear to you.
Amen. -Mother Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment