Thursday, November 26, 2015

A Heart Full of Gratitude


     As crazy as it sounds to say, I'm already done with five rotations, and am approaching the end of the sixth. That being the case, and because today is a nationally recognized day of thanksgiving, I think some thanks are in order. Actually lots of thanks. I know I'm not done yet with this journey to become a PA, but even getting this far has certainly been a group effort, and so many people have contributed to getting me this far, and I'm sure I'll miss someone (apologies in advance). I'm not going to use names since this is a public post, but I think you all know who you are. I'm sure I'll miss someone, so I hope you'll forgive me if I do. And now, without further adieu, and in no particular order, I'd like to say 



Thank you so much...
  • To the undergrad advisors who not only allowed me to study both German and Health Professions, but actually encouraged it, and then to ensure I fulfilled all the requirements for both my major and minor, and even found ways to make the two complement each other.
  • To the people of Migori, particularly at St. Joseph's and in Medics to Africa, who were always eager to teach me in the hospital, and who helped opened my life to new experiences as they taught me to experience and appreciate their culture.
  • To the friends who have been so patient and understanding about the fact that I am horrible at responding and having free time to hang out right now. 
  • To my PA classmates and friends, I really would not have made it this far without you. The spirit of cooperation and encouragement, as well as the study parties and note sharing, allowed me to keep working a bit during didactic, and helped push me to push myself. You are all amazing. 
  • To all the RNs, MAs, NPs, MDs, and other healthcare professionals who have always become so excited when they hear that I am studying to be a PA and who have cheered me on and told me I could do it or that they were excited for me, even if I'd never met them before. Many thanks to the ones who shared their wisdom and advice, encouraged me when things were hard, and were just as excited to teach me new things as I was to learn them. 
  • To my PCP who wanted me to update her on all my progress, encouraged me when pharmacology was awful, and who even taught me how to do minor procedures.
  • To the boss who let me take off almost an entire month for PA school interviews and then helped me transfer to a store in MA so I could continue earning some money during the didactic year. 
  • To the coworkers who kept me sane, made me laugh, swapped shifts when school things came up, kept me humble by reminding me that I'm "not even that great," encouraged my deep appreciation of all things sarcastic and nerdy, greatly improved a sucky birthday, cared for me when I almost passed out after blood donation, and reassured me that they would, in fact, still hang out with me even after I quit to focus all my attention on clinicals (and who actually honored that promise).
  • To the friends who helped me decide when it was time to quit my job at the coffee shop, and who even made me rehears with them how I would give my notice.  
  • To my boss who not only worked with me to ensure that my work schedule didn't conflict with my ever-changing school schedule or tire me out too much, but who also accepted my two weeks notice when the time came to quit, helped me end on a good note, and even worked things out so I could still continue to get free coffee for a little while longer after my last shift. She also bought me wine to cheer me up when my birthday last year wasn't the greatest, and continues to plan events for all of us former coworkers to stay in touch, so extra points for her.
  • To the customers who cheered me on and encouraged me to keep studying (even when they didn't know me that well or even know what a PA is), and who could brighten a bad morning simply by their presence or smile.
  • To the bad customers, who gave me important experience with personality disorders and substance abuse, as well as many opportunities to practice being patient and keeping a straight face. 
  • To kitties and animals of all kinds, for brightening my day and occasionally letting me snuggle you.
  • To the medical students who helped me acclimate to my first rotation and were always ready to help, and really to all the medical students I've worked with since. Most have been genuinely pleasant and helpful, and any competition between the MD and PA students has been friendly.
  • To all the people in the psych department, from doctors to social workers to mental health counselors to nurses who were so patient with me during my first rotation, and who were always willing to answer my questions and give me their insight, as well as tell me where I needed to improve. 
  • To all my first patients, they'll probably never read this, but I so appreciate their willingness to be examined and interviewed by a student, and their patience with my clumsy efforts. 
  • To all the friends, near and far who have listened to me and supported me emotionally and spiritually as I struggled with non-school related issues. 
  • To all the nurses, especially in the ED, who were willing to teach and observe as I learned and performed necessary procedures.
  • To the PAs who have continually offered encouragement and and much-needed guidance, and especially to the friend who has been working tirelessly to make it possible for me to do my next rotation with him.
  • To the rotation coordinators who have allowed me to set up a rotation in Oregon, rather than returning to an unpleasant site. 
  • To my sister and brother in-law for letting me crash at their apartment at least once or twice a week for my entire women's health rotation since that site was much closer to their home than mine.
  • To the friends who taught me how to be a good listener, how to admit when I don't have answers, and encouraged me to find them.
  • To my church family, both in Oregon and here, who have supported me through this entire time with notes of encouragement, prayers, meals, free furniture, listening ears, and much needed hugs. 
  • To my long-suffering roommates who have put up with my crazy schedules, hermit-like ways when studying, times when I get behind on cleaning, stress-baking, emotional breakdowns, and everything in-between. You are saints. 
  • To the friends, family and coworkers who check on me to make sure I'm sleeping and eating, which is not something I ever thought I would need reminding to do (PA school is nuts).
  • To all the people who have sold their furniture cheaply or left good quality stuff out for anyone to take. 
  • To all the cities around me who keep their parks, beaches, and other lovely areas of nature open to the public.
  • To the girls in my small group, who really have blessed me in so many ways that I couldn't list them all, but in particular your love, your support, your care, your prayers, your laughter, and for giving me a family even as I'm miles away from the one I was born into.
  • To the tech who brought me water after my first code and assured me that I did fine.
  • To Groupon, Living Social and the like, for letting me occasionally afford to go out to eat or do something fun and feel like a normal person again.
  • To anyone who's ever bought me coffee or a meal, you have no idea how much that means to me. 
  • To the Ugly Mug and Red's Sandwich Shop for providing delicious food and excellent locations for Diner Dates with my Stabrucks ladies. 
  • To the public safety people who let me in to my car after I locked my keys inside, saving me a call to AAA. 
  • To Dibacco's, Hogan Tires, and AAA for taking care of my lovely, but rather old, car and for keeping it going so I can make it to rotations.
  • To the tow truck driver who rescued me from a Boston highway on-ramp when my car broke down, and then gave me a free ride to my friend's house so I wouldn't have to walk there in the rain. 
  • To all the friends and family who have invited me into their homes for Thanksgiving and given me a home for the holidays. 
  • To the libraries of NOBLE, for letting me study in their quiet halls, and for letting me borrow so many wonderful books and movies for free.
  • To all the podcasts that help me learn and study, or simply keep me entertained, during my long commutes. 
  • To my family, there is so much I could thank them for, but for now I shall highlight their unflagging love and support, whether it be emotional, mental, physical, spiritual, or financial, and the fact that they have kept me going even though I do not thank them nearly enough. I love you all.

 

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

1 comment:


  1. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete