Sunday, April 13, 2014

It's Spring! (8/30)


Looking out at Marblehead Light from near Fort Sewall 
       It's April! It's spring! Finally! Just a few weeks are left of my first year of PA school before my summer break. This time next month I'll be in Kentucky celebrating the graduation of my sister and brother-in-law from college. Before I can frolic about in bluegrass fields while chugging Ale8 and saying "bless your heart," I must first make it through 3 more "normal" exams and then 6 final exams. I feel I should mention that by the end of this term I will have taken 31 exams. That's right people: 31. That's just this term too, not the entire year. Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone thought I was lying when I've said that my daily activities are determined by when my next exam is. ;) 


       Summer is coming though! Knock on wood, but after months of teasing, Massachusetts seems to have finally made the transition to spring and given up on acting like the comic below. Just last weekend my roommate and I finally made it one town over to Marblehead, one of 24 small New England towns Buzzfeed seems to think everyone needs to visit. We picked a perfect day to go, when the sun was shining and the water was so clear and blue it seemed fake, and it was even warm enough that we could get ice cream! Plus, we even found a beach that's open to the public. This may seem like no big deal to my Oregonian friends since almost all beaches back home are public access, but many beaches here are for residents of the closest town only, or everyone else has to pay. Honestly. You have to pay just to walk on a beach. It's ridiculous. Anywho, I do hope the nice weather sticks around. Warmer temperatures may mean that weekends at work are already getting crazy busy, but I can handle that if it means I can actually go outside and run or study. 




       Speaking of running, the Boston Marathon is just one week away. Obviously everyone's feeling a bit emotional after the tragedy last year. This is Boston, though. The people here don't just curl up and cry when they get pushed down; they get up and push right back. You can see it in the "Boston Strong" t-shirts, banners, and signs all over the city, or in the $61 million raised in just 75 days by the One Fund for the survivors of the bombings, or in the fact that the entire city shut down just to catch the perpetrators. The video below by JJ Miller sums up the attitude of Boston pretty darn well. Boston is one tough city, and I'm excited that I get the catch to help out at the Marathon this year. I've never even been able to attend the Marathon before, but come Patriots Day (a holiday celebrated only in Massachusetts by the way), I'll be at the Finish Line, ready to medically assist any runners who just can't go any further. I'm excited. 



#WEWILLRUN - Boston from JJ Miller on Vimeo.



No comments:

Post a Comment